Follow Me

Dropbox. ?Spread the word.  The first 2GB is free!

Journal Index

Forum > Jiggle physics and collision dynamics

Please remove this if the subject is too inappropriate, but I have a question about how to simulate breast physics (or hair or belly if you want). I saw a thread about it in 4chan (of all places) and people were having a trouble coming up with a solution for a functional system.

This was the video referred to (japanese game character animation done in max):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPWnn0yQTBc&feature=player_detailpage#t=217s

Seeing you're experienced with rigs and different simulation mechanics I'm asking if you could give a walkthrough of what is going on that video.

The bounce itself can be achieved in many ways, but the thing that bothers is the collision (hand sweep in that video). It's not necessarily collision mechanic, but something scripted, honestly I have no idea how to get similar result. It's like the bones itself are collision detected. You did that elephant nose thing which comes close to this simulation-wise, but correct me if I'm wrong, flex modifier doesn't in my experience handle collisions very well. The overall setup here with bones seems pretty light, so that's why I'm interested.

And sorry about the subject, people think anything dealing with breasts in 3D must be a joke so I don't know where to ask...

November 8, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterDen

Hot damn! Nice video.

I don't speak Japanese, or Anime- but it looks like they have a dynamic approach using bones and skinning. You could try using spring controllers on a bone chain and see if you get anything interesting out of it. There used to be a plug-in called "Hypermatter" back in the day. It would have been perfect for this kind of thing. It doesn't exist anymore though. This is where some good dynamics would come in handy. Don't hold your breath for the new dynamics in max 2012. They don't really do much more than drop things.

November 9, 2011 | Registered CommenterFred Ruff

"Don't hold your breath for the new dynamics in max 2012". Indeed, they went ahead and removed Reactor. It seems like it's not ever coming back either...

However I kind of found a semi-working solution to this already, it's tested but needs further fiddling with weights/settings to be proper. First I made a collision mesh out of the part I want to jiggle, then I made a few bones to which I attached HI solvers and used spring controllers on the IKs, kinda like you suggested there. After that, I skin these new jiggle bones to the collision mesh, not actual model. And then finally I apply and setup Cloth modifier to the collision mesh (put enough pressure to it so it keeps the shape, remember to group and preserve verts if needed) to drive the actual collisions, so now it has both jiggling motion and can handle collisions, kinda. Lastly I skin wrap this weird creature to the actual model.

It didn't seem something that could be done at first, using skinned bones and cloth dynamics together to drive animation, and after long sleepless night of fiddling I'm still not totally sure why it worked...

Anyhow, thanks to you, the elephant video there helped me. It's also nice to see someone explaining how the springs actually work, to me it's just a button that does stuff, it's more rare to see someone explaining the theory behind it :)

November 9, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterDen